Wednesday, 4 February 2015

The Production Log

Introduction 

Hi, I am currently overtaking media studies as a GCSE. I will be analysing a variety of different topics including GENRE, MAGAZINE STYLE RADIO SHOW, etc. 

Research

GENRE RESEARCH (SECONDARY RESEARCH METHOD)

Researching and searching are different things but very similar. Search is putting in a questions on a search engine such as as Google but research when you go in to more detail and analyse.

Our radio show

people in my group : 
Amira 
James 
Me
create a 3 minute magazine style radio show. 
Magazine style radio and magazines are very similar except one is audio and one is printed. I will be looking into magazines style radio shows. Magazine style radio show consist of a friendly presenter, a introduction, and a range of topics depending on the subject. So like a magazine its got different topics and you know what the magazine is going to be about by looking at the front cover. I had to do some research on magazine style radio shows, genre and audiences.

First we had to research radio genre.



Research on GENRE


I had to look for a certain genre, so I went to BBC  radio programme and clicked on categories which led me to a variety of different genres such as drama, factual,comedy,etc. I choose entertainment  and found an example of a magazine style radio show.

Here is an example of a form of radio entertainment from the BBC WEBSITE .

A summary of this radio entertainment show is an episode recorded on the 17/04/15 and is based on events in Yorkshire, on the Adam Tomlinson and Anna Wallace show, presented and told by Nathan Turvey for BBC Radio York.  In the introduction it discusses many factors such as a the unemployment rate fallen in the last 7years to its lowest, in the local region of North Yorkshire, 17,000 people became unemployed whilst elsewhere, 166,000 people also became unemployed between December and January.
Secondly, the radio show goes onto talk about the drop in the number of people being fined for using mobiles when they are driving. So far this year, in North Yorkshire the public have received in total an estimate of 2.5 thousand penalties in comparison to the year before which gave out 800 penalties. Due to this, the police have offered courses to support people who have suffered a consequence due to the use of mobile phones when driving. The radio show gave evidence of this when they interviewed a man named Scott Wallace who gave his experiences.
In addition, it talks about the political government where Ed Miliband turned down an offer by SMP for each of their parties involved to work together and push conservatives view into a less important sector of the Governments decision. As a result, Miliband is seeking an outright majority vote in the weeks to come.
Finally, the radioshow also talks about RollsRoyce making a deal to supply over £6000 worth of engines to help power up to 50 AirBus A380 jumbo's.




I have selected this programme because it looks to me like its a magazine style programme because it includes topics like news, politics. sports and showbiz. I have learnt that a magazine is something which contains a mixture or variety of items.  I am going to use the software program Audacity to record part of this episode of five live hit list so that i can identify the key codes and conventions that make up a magazine style radio show. 


Here I am using Audacity to record a section from the 5 Live Hot List because it is a MAGAZINE STYLE SHOW. I have chosen to pull out the -db scale measure to make sure that I do not record distorted audio. A good level of recording is between about -20 db and -5 db. If the recording level gets too close to 0 (zero) on the -db scale is sounds too hot and clips and distorts. I can see that my recording is in the good range - not too quiet and not too loud.

Codes & Conventions 

A magazine style radio show is made up of different of codes and conventions which I will be researching. 

Introduction: In the introduction the radio presenter will introduce herself/himself and will speak in a chatty tone. There will also be a theme song playing in  the background.


Content: In the content the radio presenter will say what she is going to be discussing in the show by briefly going over the subjects. The theme music will be playing still however it will be on a very low volume so we can hear what the presenter is saying.
  

Programme ID:  This is the very first part the audience will hear of the radio show.  This is a very important feature as it enables the audience to recognise the show.



Guest: In this code and convention feature , the radio presenter has a conversation with a guest on the show. Normally in a radio show there is a interview or a vox box.


Radio show:  This is the Magazine style radio show itself.



Here I'm using Audacity to edit each of the codes and conventions from the introductory section of the magazine style show I chose during my secondary research method. Here I created new tracks each one for a separate code and convention.





AUDIENCE RESEARCH 


In my GENRE RESEARCH I used a secondary research method but in my AUDIENCE RESEARCH I will be using both secondary and primary research methods.

RAJAR is an organisation which measures RADIO AUDIENCES.

When I went on the website I discovered some information about radio audiences. what stood out for me here was that 89% of the population tune into radio every week. it varies from ages 15 and over. 


As I was reading further on I also discovered that a average listener will tune in to 21.3 hours of    live radio per week. 



In this section the website informed me about radio listening through the mobile phone and tablet. 15-24 year olds listen to radio via the mobile phone and tablet at lest once a month.






So over all RAJAR was very useful in telling me about radio audiences.

Our target audience is soap opera fans. A soap opera is a television or drama series dealing with daily lives in the same group of characters. Here is some examples of soap opera:

  • Eastenders 
  • Hollyoaks
  • Emmerdale    
  • Many more. 


Our four main topics are :

  • Celebrity gossip 
  • spoilers: Whats going to happen next in Hollyoaks. 
  • Real life problems / facts : teenage pregnancy 
  • New music: top charts. 
Understanding our target audience: soap opera fans (demographics)

Before we started writing the script for our radio show we had to understand our target audience first. Because of this we had to also look into the key demographics of our audience.

For example are soap fans old or young?  Are they male or female?  Are they working class or posh? Are they well educated or not? What other kinds of media do they like?

What happens if I discover that they are a mixture of all these things then I will have to try to find another way of identifying my target audience.

Perhaps soap fans read particular newspapers or watch particular TV programmes.

In order to understand our target audience even more (which are soap opera fans) Amira and I went out and interviewed people. the first interview you will hear was composed by Amira. She is interviewing her 13 year old cousin who has a big interest in soap operas.  Amira found out that her cousin watches Eastenders, waterloo road and Hollyoaks. Her cousin finds opera interesting  and has a lot of social medias such as Whatsapp, snapchat, facebook, etc. Her cousin tries to keep up with celebrity through social media, also she feels the shows hep out with everyday problems. and lastly her two favourite characters on the show (male and female) are Doger and Perrie, for different reasons.








My group also formed a questionnaire. This allowed us to ask a number of people the same question but in a quick and easier way.This questionnaire was for a specific audience, Hollyoaks fans.

Most of the question are yes and no                                                                                             question.This is also an example of secondary research.


Topics Research: Four main topics 


Our main four topics are :  

  • celebrity gossip
  • real life problems/ facts: Teenage pregnancy 
  • spoilers: Hollyoaks 
  • New music: Top charts 
Celebrity gossip:  Amira was in charge of finding out celebrity gossip we found out that Kate Middleton  the Duchess of Cambridge met a few of the cast of Downtown Abby.

Real life problems/facts: teenage pregnancy: In our show we talk about a soap opera show called Hollyoaks. One of the main story lines is a young girl around the age 15 is pregnant. so we decided to talk about teenage pregnancy in the show. Here are some of the facts we found.

  • Over 615,000 teens between 15 and 19 become pregnant each year. 
  • Most teen pregnancy are unplanned. 
  • teen mums account for 8% of all birth in the US. 
  • Out of all teen pregnancies, 60% end in birth. 
The facts above were found from the site: About.com 


Spoilers: Hollyoaks: For spoilers we were lucky to find a website which was able to give us spoilers for the next episode. we found out that Perrie and tom had to find out what thy ate going to do about the baby so Perrie and her friend Nico start looking into abortion at the clinic. Also a character called Patrick Blake is able to have his daughter around with permission from the mother ,Maxine.



New music top charts:  As a group we decided a good topic that would interest a a lot of the audience is music. So we looked at the top charts to find out what music was most popular. It went in this order; Bruno mars and mark Ronson with uptown funk,  Take me to church by Hozier,  LA love by Fergie and lastly Lips are moving by Megan Trainor.                                            



Script and SFXS

Script:

This is our script which tells us what to say. This was helpful while recording our show as we didn't have to remember anything , we could just read off the script. Also it told us who said what, how long each thing should roughly take to say and what sound effects were used in each part.

Sound effects:



To get our sound effects  we needed to use a website called Freesound.org. This site allowed my group too choose from a variety of sound effects to use in our show ( as its important we use sound effects to boost the quality of our show.) It is important to include sound effects because it can indicate a new topic or highlight some information. My group used a few different sound effects for different reasons: crying baby this was included in the topic about teenage pregnancy, bubbles to interest our audience, drum roll to introduce the spoilers teleportation to move on to a vox pop/ interview and a ringing bell for the beginning and end of spoilers.

schedule and role responsibilities 20 weeks

This is a schedule shows the plan for the 20 weeks we have on this topic. It also shows the responsibilities of each group member.


learning how to use AUDACITY and USB microphone photographs of group use 

Learning how to use Audacity:
  • The first thing I did was download LAME and AUDACITY. Then  I had to find a magazine style radio show which i did. i went to the BBC website and went to the radio section. then i went to entertainment which led me to a variety of different shows. 
  • I then went to audacity and changed the setting. This allowed m to record the radio show. because all i then had to do is click the play button on my radio show and click record on audacity. I recorded 6 minutes of the show. 
  • What I did next is saved my recorded audio as a mp3. oi went to my soundcloud next and uploaded the track with a picture too and labeled it radio show. i also had to add a tag. 
  • but i had to get the track to my blog so I went back to sound cloud clicked embed and copied the link. I then pasted the link into the HTML and added a few <br />
  • I went to update and successfully put up a audio. I did this for the codes and conventions and other audios. 

Learning how to use portable microphone.

As I was in charge of interviews/ Vox pop I had to learn how to use a portable microphone. My teacher told me the baisc information that i needed to know. i pressed the record button twice and it was successfully recording. I had to remember to keep the microphone at a good distance so vthat the audio was not too loud or too quite. I then used a lead to upload all my recorded files to the computer and used soundcloud to up load my tracks on to my blog. 

Here is a picture of me interviewing a Hollyoak fan.(Tissah). I recorded what she said using a portable microphone which you can see in the picture. 


Constructing the vox pop. screenshot of audacity 

A vox pop is similar to a interview however with a vox pop we take out the best parts or the main answer and put it all as one recording. My Vox pop includes recording from inside and outside.  We got the recording by using a portable microphone which I talked about above.^^^








Constructing the theme music 

It is important to have a theme song for a radio show because enables the audience to recognise the show. in order to make a radio show we had to create one from Garage Band. It had a wide selection of beats and tunes to chose from. it was not long before my group and i chosen some beats and place them together in a certain arrangement which made it sound modern and good. Our teacher also showed us how to make the theme music slowly turn down when we begin speaking which was very useful. 
                   
      

                                                   



preparing for interviews :

It was important that we had interviews for two main reasons, one being it was important to include in our radio show, as its a code and convention of a magazine style radio show. My second main reason is RESEARCH. I was in charge of interviews and recording them. I came up with these interview questions( which were based on Hollyoak fans.):

  • Do you watch Hollyoaks everyday ?
  • who is your favorite character on hollyokas (male and female)?
  • do you think holloyokas helps with people who might be going through the problems on the storyline ?
  • What do you think of the current story line? 
  • Do you think the show could make any improvements?

Completing the outside broadcast

It was quite hard to find a good place to record as it a busy city with traffic in the background. However i was lucky enough to find a quite area and the recording turn out better than expected. This recording was then used in the vox pop. 




Editing in sound effects 

We put in the sound effects like so. By moving the audio into sections so there was space for sound effect audio.

The sound effects we used :

  1. Drum roll: to introduce the topic spoilers
  2. Teleportation: When moving onto the interviews or Vox pop, this showed we moved onto another topic. in the show. 
  3. Ringing bell: to show that the spoilers had started and ended.
  4. Crying baby : when talking about the teenage pregnancy.
  5. Bubbles. 
 

                                

These are all the sound effects put together.


 

                 





Using audacity tools 

These were the tools available on Audacity and each had a different but useful job. It just really depends on audio you have recorded. so you might want to mute a recording to record another bit audio. You would do this by using the mute button. Or zoom in button to see audio more clearly and edit more accurately.


final editing decisions 

Towards the end of creating our Magazine Style Radio Show, we thought is was important as a group to come together and have a group meeting. In this meeting we went over the script and discussed what needed to be fix, done or changed.



The outcome was we had to change our theme music and re-record some of the show. This is now done as lucky we were able to complete these things within two days. 

our radio show

This is our finished radio show which includes most of the codes and conventions that a normal magazine style radio show would include. ( chatty presenter, background music, theme song, vox pop, interview, etc.) 






Getting feedback from target audience 

It was important to get feedback from the target audience as we can see areas that we need to improve in and see areas in which we did really well  in. So our strengths and weakness. Also getting feedback is important because we can see what people think of the show. so if they like it or if they thought it was bad or if they like the theme music etc. 

            



No comments:

Post a Comment